So you want to make an OC?: A Masterpost of Ways to Create, Develop, and Make Good OCs!
i made this masterpost in hopes that it helps you in making your own OCs ah;; it can also apply to developing RP characters i suppose! if you’d like to add more resources then go for it sugar pea (´ヮ`)!
How to Write Better OCs:
- basic tips on how to make your oc even better
- tragic backstory? learn how to write one/make yours great
- writing specific characters
- a wordier, great guide on how to develop your character
- kick out those vague descriptions and make them AWESOME
- how to actually make an OC
- Q&A (to develop characters)
- more Q&As
- giving your character a backstory
- how to write an attractive character
- adding more racial diversity
- avoiding tokenism, AKA, how to add diversity to your cast not just because you “need” it
- writing sexuality and gender expression (doesnt include non binary, if you have a good ref to that, please add on!)
- masterpost on writing more diversity into your story
- cultures of the world
- guides to drawing different ethnicities (not just a great art reference, but also really helpful in appearance descriptions!)
Mary Sue/Gary Stu
- Test to see if your character is a Sue
- Explains subdivisions of Sues/Stus
- Powerful Characters Don’t Have to Be Sues
- villain generator
- need an evil sounding name for your evil character? bam
- villain archetypes
- what’s your villain’s motive for being a villain?
- character perceptions (What your character thinks of themselves and what others think of them)
- how to write strong relationships between two characters
- 8 ways to write better characters and develop their relationships with others
- OCxLove Interest Handbook
- develop your couple with good ol’ Q&A!
- how to write realistic relationships
- how to write relatives for your characters (this is more OC related to a canon character, but will help in writing family members in general)
- 12 common archetypes
- 8 archetypes for male/female characters
- female archetypes (goes pretty indepth from two main categories)
- a list of archetypes
- tips for better design
- basic appearance generator
- pinterest board for character design (includes NSFW and images of skeletons/exposed muscle (?) so tread carefully!)
- clothing ref masterpost
- give your character better powers
- a list of professions
- proactive vs reactive characters
- positive and negative traits
- interest generator
- skills generator
- motivation generator
- 123 ideas for character flaws
- list of phobias
again, this is to help inspire you or help establish your OCs! i hope you get a lot of info and help from this ahh ( ´ ▽ ` )ﾉ
A new reference was created for to help untangle the braiding process! http://cgcookie.com/concept/2014/02/10/exercise-braiding/
I’ve never been this sexually attracted to hair
ah thanks! i always liked the way i did hair too tbh heh;; i was asked to make a tutorial eariler this year but i never found the time to do it but i guess ill do it here OTL
as you may know early in the morning, hair is very flimsy and uncooperative! even straight hair isnt going to be perfectly straight. there will be loose ends and parts that stick out. hair is not one block!
2) painting! for the way i paint you might want to see my colouring walkthrough coz i wont explain in detail about it.
fringes and hair that is against the face would tend to be more transparent/lighter than the thickness of the hair in over places of the scalp.
colours are all on the same layer to allow for colours to blend over smoothly. for certain parts of the hair such as a the fringe/block areas i liked to use this brush
it gives a nice streaky texture. dont use too much/only this brush though! then it looks tacky :T. you want different widths in colour/lines.
4) overlay colour to brighten and darken! refer to the other tutorial!
5) merge and paint!
i added the glow coz it would have related to the colour of her eyes
the ends of the hair are more streaky and loose while the roots can bee more blocky and less detailed
theres a bit of blue glow that appears on my fringe from her eyes which i sometimes like to add. this is obviously a stylistic choice coz aint no eyes that glowy enough for that to happen LOL
streaky, flimsy, loose hair makes things look more realistic. you dont want things that are ugly like this
…which happens to be my first attempt at painting LOL
you dont always have to do a lot of hair details though. esp if say… the face isnt the main subject in the painting. short hair can tend to bypass all that flimsiness i suppose??? @@
flimsy long hairrrr. when theres more hair its less easy to sidestep it looking weird if its one big chuck e__e
in the end everything still depends on your own personal style though!! if your style gives things a lot of detail, everything tends to have to follow through or itll look awkward.
woot! i hope that was vaguely helpful!!!
text tricks; click the <html> button in the corner
<small> makes things smaller. the more <small> you use, the smaller it gets.
<big> same applies with big
<sup> makes things go up up up up
<sub> makes things go down down down down
<u> makes underlines (only seen on blog pages)
go here for ｓｐａｃｙ ｗａｃｅｙ ｗｏｒｄｓ
z̗̟̻̫̼͓͂ã̤̬͓̼͓̔̐̇͑ͩ̀l̯̜̰͐̒ͪg̺͎͈̍o͍̫̬̤ͭ ͍ͩͤ̈́a͇̘͙̼̠̪̣ͨ̾̍̿k̼ͣa̯̮͇̟ͫ̑ͤͭ̔̊ͣͅ ͌͆s̮̫̼͖̫̖̐̆ͦc̎ͪÃ͔̬̘̫̣̮̮̂̉͗R̈́Ẏ̖͕͚̱̩̠ ̫̝͎̞͖̄T͔̎͊̍ͪ̔E̲̞̽ͨ̿̑X͓̜̩̖̜ͦ͊T̹̥̰̊̎͂ found here
upside down text? oɯəlqoɹd ou
of course, those are the basics. <code>
makes things monospacedand <pre> puts your text in a grey box.
need themes? NEED THEMES? HERE’S A THEME REC W/ 4000+ THEMES AHHHHHH
What are you doing. What are you doing. What have you done.
you’re telling me i can make BLACK SLUDGE THAT TASTES LIKE OREOS!?
PRETEND IT’S LEVIATHAN BLOOD
There are two kinds of people….
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE
It’s about time I revised my redux edits! They were glitchy
or kind of ugly. Under the cut are static previews, theme information, and updates on the rest of my redux edits.
navigating cons and figuring out the contents of your ‘con bag’ is hard for experienced cosplayers and newbies alike, but since i overthink everything i like to think i have it down!
under the cut is what my con bag has and ten gospel rules for con-going!